Hasslein Blog: When Comic Books Attack!

REFERENCE GUIDES BY GEEKS, FOR GEEKS

Hasslein Blog

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

When Comic Books Attack!

By Rich Handley

For the heck of it, I decided to take a photo of my comic book shelves today. My comics collection is getting out of control, and I'm about to run out of room, as you can see in the image below. It comes down to a choice of either binding them, selling them or adding another shelf.

:::mumble grumble rassn frassn first-world problems:::


I obtained these printing-shop shelves years ago and discovered that they were the perfect height for comic books (except, oddly, for the third row from the bottom, which is why those comics are slightly tilted). Before I found them, I used to keep the comics in cardboard boxes, like most people, but I enjoy having them all handy, without having to pull out a box every time I want to re-read something (which I do often).

The shelves go floor to ceiling, so they hold a lot. But after thirty years of collecting, I'm nearing the point at which they'll soon no longer fit. (The problem is that although there's extra space on some shelves, each shelf contains a different collection, and my OCD won't allow me to mix 'em in order to tighten up the available space.)

Left shelves:
Top four rows: Star Trek 
Bottom two rows: Planet of the Apes, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Preacher

Right shelves:
Top three rows: Swamp Thing and Hellblazer (sans "New 52")
Bottom three rows: Star Wars

As you can see, I am a very picky and specific collector; although I own a lot of comics, they're really only in a small handful of categories. I do have some other comics as well, but those I don't bother keeping on display since I don't re-read them.

How has my wife not yet left me?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home